To select, purchase, price, display, and promote fresh produce and to supervise department staff to meet objectives for sales, margin, inventory turns, labor and customer service.
Reports to General Manager
Supervises Produce Staff Full Time; 40+ hours a week
- a) Negotiate with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, quality, and delivery.
- b) Purchase produce following product selection guidelines & marketing plan, (e.g., priority for local, organic,)
- c) Evaluate suppliers and investigate new sources of supply.
- d) Purchase for special deals and promotions. Ensure adequate and timely supply of promoted products.
- e) Ensure accurate, up-to-date prices of produce products in POS system and shelf tags.
- f) Receive orders, or ensure proper receiving by other staff in accordance with established procedures.
- g) Coordinate with Receivers in handling returns and obtaining credit from suppliers for produce items.
- h) Coordinate inventory counts for produce department.
- a) Attend marketing meetings with other department managers and buyers to plan promotions and storewide merchandising.
- b) Plan attractive produce displays, using color and texture to enhance; give impression of abundance and quality, while maintaining proper storage conditions.
- c) Trim, wash, bundle produce as needed.
- d) Ensure displays are replenished, rotated, culled several times daily.
- e) Price produce to achieve margin and sales goals, while maintaining a competitive image. Mark down items as needed to reduce losses.
- f) Offer tastes, samples, suggestions for purchase and ways to prepare products.
- g) Ensure building and maintaining of in-store displays, according to established standards for appearance, variety and ease of shopping and stocking.
- h) Set preparation & stocking priorities for department staff to ensure tables/coolers are fully stocked and rotated for freshness. Stock items as needed.
- i) Ensure accurate, up-to-date uniform department signs.
- j) Provide product information to customers and staff and newsletter.
- k) Visit other stores for price comparisons, product and merchandising ideas.
- l) Attend trainings and co-op conferences as assigned.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE
- a) Assist customers with produce questions in prompt friendly courteous manner.
- b) ssist customers with special orders, and oversee special orders system in Produce to ensure that customers receive their orders.
- c) Pass on relevant literature for co-op staff to read about produce products.
- d) Ensure co-op staffs are aware of changes in policies and procedures affecting customers.
- e) Respond to produce department customer suggestions, comments, & complaints in a reasonable manner.
- DEPARTMENT MAINTENANCE
- a) Coordinate storage of items to be returned to suppliers. See that unsellable items are properly disposed of. Keep accurate shrinkage records.
- b) Ensure that produce department shelves, displays, aisles, prep & storage areas in clean, orderly condition, meeting health department & ADA standards.
- c) Remove trash promptly, sweep and mop retail area floors frequently.
- d) Mark down items as needed to reduce losses.
- e) Participate in inventory counts.
- f) Use equipment safely. Ensure maintenance of department equipment in working order. Monitor cooler temperatures. Notify General Manager of equipment problems or needs.
- a) Hire qualified applicants following established policy.
- b) Ensure on-the-job training.
- c) Conduct performance evaluations.
- d) Recommend pay increases within department budget.
- e) Take disciplinary action as needed following established policy.
- f) Schedule hours for department within budget, and review time cards.
- g) Organize department meetings.
- h) Ensure department staff is informed of storewide meetings and policy changes.
- i) Provide training, supervision, and support of department Hands-On-Owners.
- OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES
- a) Participate in development of operating and capital budgets for store.
- b) Participate in setting sales and margin goals for produce departments.
- c) Review financial reports of department performance and take corrective action as needed.
- d) Attend Management Team meetings and storewide meetings.
- e) Perform other tasks assigned by General Manager.
- f) Perform Manager on Duty shifts as assigned.
- g) Assist customers in all departments, in prompt friendly courteous manner, referring them to other staff when necessary.
- h) Answer & route phone calls.
- At least one year of experience in retail produce
- Knowledge of organic and commercial growing practices, and organic certification regulations.
- Knowledge of current trends in natural foods industry.
- Several innovative ideas for merchandising at the co-op.
- Supervisory experience: hiring, training, evaluating, and giving directions.
- Ability to read financial statements; firm grasp of margin and pricing.
- Organized, consistently follows through on commitments.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands.
- Communications skills–clear directions, good listener.
- Experience serving the public.
- Ability to project friendly, outgoing personality.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Ability to lift 60+ pounds.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to work in cold, wet conditions.
- Willingness to work one weekend day.
- Regular, predictable attendance.
- Willingness and ability to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the job.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations or the work environment change.