CIDER-BRAISED CHICKEN, BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND APPLES
• 4 slices of chopped bacon
• 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 1/2 pounds total)
• 2 medium tart red apples cored and cut into wedges
• 1 12 - ounce bottle hard cider
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
• 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 12 ounces fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved if large (2 cups)
1. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan, reserving drippings in skillet. Add chicken, skin side down, then cook 10 minutes or until it is browned, turning just once. Then remove from skillet. Add apples to the skillet and cook 4 minutes or until browned on both sides; remove from skillet. Drain and discard drippings from skillet.
2. Next, include cider, thyme, mustard, and salt to skillet, scraping up any browned bits. Bring it to a boil and reduce heat.