STRAWBERRY SALAD WITH WARM GOAT CHEESE CROUTONS
• 2 (4-oz.) goat cheese logs
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 large egg
• 2 tablespoons whole milk
• 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 5 ounces mixed baby greens
• 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
• 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds removed, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
• 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
• Strawberry-Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
• Garnish: dill sprigs
1. Cut each goat cheese log into 4 rounds. Lightly press each round to 1/2-inch thick on a baking sheet, and freeze for 20 minutes.
2. Place the flour in a small bowl. Whisk together the egg and milk in a second small bowl. Combine the panko, salt, and pepper in a third small bowl. Saturate goat cheese rounds in flour, dip in egg mixture, and dredge in panko blend until coated. Put on a plate, and chill until all goat cheese rounds are breaded.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium until hot. Add goat cheese rounds to skillet, and cook until golden brown color on each side, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
4. When serving, position salad greens on a serving platter; top with strawberries, cucumber, onion, and goat cheese croutons. Sprinkle with vinaigrette, and garnish with dill sprigs.