VEGAN AND GLUTEN FREE CASHEW CAULIFLOWER ALFREDO
• 1 1/2 cup green peas
• 1/2 cup cashews (soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes)
• 10 ounces of pasta of your choice
• 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
• 1/3 yellow onion, diced
• Pinch of sea salt and pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 2 cloves garlic. minced
• 4-5 cups raw cauliflower
• 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
• 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
• 1/2 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce (or tamari)
• 1 cup plain almond milk (or any plain plant milk)
• Gluten free breadcrumbs & red pepper flakes to top off
1. Place frozen peas in a bowl and allow to defrost while you cook.
2. Add cashews to a bowl. Pour boiling water over them and soak for 10-15 minutes or until softened.
3. Boil the water for pasta then cook, according to it’s directions.
4. Add avocado oil to a large, shallow pan and heat on medium heat. Add in onion and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and the red pepper flakes. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Next stir in the cauliflower and vegetable broth-cover. Reduce heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes. Not need to drain. Carefully transfer to a blender.
5. Add in nutritional yeast as well as the soy sauce & almond milk. Drain and rinse cashews. Add that to the blender too. Blend on high setting until smooth and creamy. Add additional seasoning to taste.
6. Transfer the sauce back to the shallow pan on the stove. Add in cooked pasta and the green peas. Toss everything together. Lastly, top with some breadcrumbs and/or extra red pepper flakes.
7. Serve and enjoy!